Friday, November 16, 2007

A Royal Gift

As we unpacked the wheelchairs, my eyes caught the sight of a purple pediatric chair. Complete with brightly colored dinosaur upholstery and awning, and a stroller-like base, I wondered who God had planned this gift for. I did not have to wait long…

On the first day of distribution, a weary grandmother carried a small three year-old girl towards us. They were dressed in their finest, and I sensed the guarded hope in the eyes of both.
The little girl’s name was Milagros, which means “miracle”. As I gathered her into my arms, I prayed that God would provide miraculous gifts for her, physically and spiritually.

Richard and I scanned the available chairs, and my eyes were again drawn to the purple one. We checked it over, amazed at the adaptability that would allow for growth and functional assistance, and prepared ourselves for the modification process.
But when I placed Milagros in this chair, the only components needing adjustment were the headrest and straps! Hope turned to joy as we explained all the adaptable features, including the awning that Milagros' grandmother said would allow her to take her granddaughter for a walk in the park.
If one photo is worth a thousand words, these should speak volumes. How can it be that the King of the universe also cares for the least among us? The provision of this wheelchair was a tangible reminder of the specific care He provides and the love He lavishes on each of us.
Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God? You are the God who performs miracles, you display your power among the peoples. Psalm 77:13-14

No comments: