Tuesday, October 30, 2007

When I Can't Help

In my every day work, I hear from people around the world whose needs out-distance the resources I can access. Heartbreakingly often, I find myself putting together the words which say "I can't help." Of course I can pray, and I do, and God has been gloriously merciful in showing me how my prayers have gone to bring change when nothing else could be sent across the miles. But I think the thing that excites me most about this WFTW trip is that I get to be sent across the miles and I get to say, live and in person, "I can help."

Or rather "Puedo ayudar."

But even with the opportunity to be "live and in person" I recognize there will still be those times when I reach the end of what I can do: when I can't remember a particular word, when my mind goes blank, when the sum of my knowledge and understanding falls short. And then, O Dear Lord, remind me, that even then I can pray, even then my prayers can extend across the distance and proclaim "God can help."

~Rebecca

2 comments:

MMS said...

Thank you! You remind me that what goes on has very little to me. I can use the skills God has given me, but the results are up to him! Whew! That takes the pressure off of me to "perform".

Unknown said...

thank you! your entry just reminded me of the mighty power of prayer!!!