Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Tale of Two Travelers

“Is this a His Wheels International (HWI) three-wheeler?” a student asked. While I was teaching a high school disability ministry class in January 2007, the Lord yanked me by my blouse collar and said, “Listen up!” The hand-pedaled three-wheeler in question reminded me of the hand-pedaled three-wheeler I saw while serving as a Wheels for the World (WFTW)/Trujillo team member last November. From this student, I learned about HWI, located in my hometown of Wheaton, Illinois. Their purpose is to mobilize God’s work worldwide through bicycles. In 2005, HWI began building hand-pedaled three-wheeler prototypes to assist people with disabilities in places where wheelchairs might be difficult to use. Their ultimate goal is to provide nationals with designs, knowledge, sources, and three-wheeler expertise so they can adapt the plans and reproduce a design that fits their needs locally.

“Make the connection,” resonated relentlessly in my mind. As I thought about these two three-wheelers 4,000 miles apart, the Lord challenged me to step WAY OUT of my comfort zone. So, in the midst of our kitchen-remodeling project and with life in a state of disarray, I obeyed. I set up a time in March to meet with Alice Teisan, HWI’s executive director.

“Let me introduce you to my friend,” Alice stated. Accompanying her was a graduate student from Peru who is studying at Wheaton College. While talking, we realized her grandmother had received a wheelchair from the 2006 WFTW/Arequipa team. I left that first meeting with a sense that God was about to do something new. Making this new friendship with a woman from Peru could only be a providential move by the Lord.

After seeking Godly counsel from three friends, I contacted WFTW. Within a month of meeting Alice, she and the latest three-wheeler prototype were on their way to California for an appointment with Samuel Buxton, WFTW Director.


HWI invited me to join the team, using my skills as a physical therapist. Between our first meeting and Alice’s flight in April, our three-wheeler team developed and built our latest design. We called it the “Sanctus Project,” inspired by the words of Isaiah 35:8, “A highway will be there and it will be called the Way of Holiness.” Throughout this time, I was thinking of those who co-labored with our team last year in Peru. After the door opened for me to return to Trujillo in 2007, I began praying that God would allow the three-wheeler, Sanctus 358, to be my traveling companion. Having now received the green light to GO, we are in the final preparations for Sanctus 358 to join our 2007 WFTW/Trujillo team. Sanctus 358 will be donated to a person with a disability in Trujillo. He will work closely with Corazones Unidos, the partnering organization in Peru, to assist HWI towards their ultimate goal.

Praise the Lord who keeps those wheels turning. We would appreciate your prayers regarding the final preparations and logistics of transporting Sanctus 358 from Chicago to Trujillo. -Nancy Biedry, PT

His Wheels International P.O. Box 423 Wheaton, IL 60189 (630) 510-1005
http://www.hiswheelsintl.org

No comments: